Wednesday, January 02, 2013

About This Site

My name is Jason Aaron. I write comic books. Gus Hasford was my cousin. My mom's nephew. I only met him two or three times in my life, and he died in 1993, when I was just out of high school, but nevertheless he had a tremendous influence on me.

A few years after Gus died, I started to put together a website devoted to him, compiling what little I knew about Gus and whatever articles I could track down online. That site grew and grew over the years, to include dozens of short stories, interviews, remembrances, photos and more. Through that website I met Gus Hasford fans from all over the world, and ultimately even got invited to the reunion of Gus' fellow Vietnam War era Marine Combat Correspondents.

Eventually though the site became terribly neglected and dated. This is me trying to dust it off and give it a new face. I'll be reposting most everything from the old site here and maybe even including some other stuff that never made it online.

Please join me in continuing to celebrate the life and work of Gus Hasford. Thanks.

13 comments:

Marc Mahan said...

I just came across this site while looking for the novel 'The Short-Timers'. I found a review of the novel on Goodreads.com dated Dec. 10, 2012 that confirmed that it was out of print but that it was available online here at this site. Sadly, when I clicked the link to this site I was met with the note stating that the page didn't exist. I see that you have just begun updating the site. Does that mean that the novel will be reposted? If so, I will be forever in your debt.

Jason Aaron said...

No, I likely won't be reposting the novel. Sorry.

Chet Hix said...

Thank you, Jason!

lucasignorelli said...

Good to see you back working on Gustav, Jason, even if I guess you writer life must be very busy. Can I hope that the fact you're NOT posting the novels anymore means they will be reprinted? (Please, make it so...: )

Heppe said...

Hello Jason,
Couldnt you see to it that h book got back in print, or maybe a kindle edition?

Jason Aaron said...

Believe me, if it was up to me, all of Gus' books would've been back in print a long time ago.

Richard Dumas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Richard Dumas said...

Hi Jason, thank you so much for having previously having posted "The Phantom Blooper" on your site. I had read a copy of "The Short Timers" in paperback printed shortly after the film release. I was not until I found you site that I was able to read "The Phantom Blooper", what a beautiful work of art that story is. The line about the bandages trailing away from the evac helicopter and being described as ghosts drifting through the night sky beneath the helicopter haunt me to this day. Reading Gus's writing is like savoring fine wine or sipping a really, really good moonshine. I cant thank you enough for giving me the opportunity to have read that masterpiece. For now I will simply keep believing that YOU WILL repost those novels someday! Thank you again from the bottom of my heart! Semper Fi scumbag ;)

Abigail Grant said...

May I ask why the novel "The Short-Timers" will not be posted?

laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jason Aaron said...

I would love to be of help, but unfortunately I don't control the rights to Gus's books.

laura said...

Thanks a lot for your answer. Do you know who controls the rights? We would then send our request right away to the estate, agent or publishing house that handles Gus Hasford's rights. I appreciate all your help.
Best
Laura

laura said...

Could you please indicate me who controls the rights to Gustav Hasford? It is impossible to find this information anywhere. And with your help, we could send our request and move forward in the project of bringing back THE SHORT-TIMERS to French readers.
Feel free to use write back at laura@gallmeister.fr if that's better.